Monday, April 7, 2008

Montgomery G.I. Bill

This is a response I got back from one of my US Senators about the Montgomery G.I. Bill. If you are interested in writing to your Senators and Representatives, I would recommend the following blog.


Dear Ryan:

Thank you for contacting me about educational benefits for active duty soldiers and returning veterans. As you know, the Montgomery G.I. Bill passed after World War II provided for great expansions in home ownership and college education, contributing to the post war growth of the middle class.

Anyone willing to put their life on the line for this country deserves access to a quality education. It is way past time to revisit the Montgomery G.I. Bill to ensure the provisions of this important act are responsive to the needs of military families in the 21st century.

There are currently several efforts to update the G.I. Bill. I am proud to co-sponsor S. 22, the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act introduced by my friend, Senator Jim Webb. This legislation would open up educational benefits to Reservists and National Guardsmen who served on or after September 11, 2001. It is currently being considered by the Veterans Affairs Committee on which I serve.

A similar piece of legislation which would achieve the important goal of expanding educational opportunities for National Guard and Reserve troops is S. 644, the Total Force Educational Assistance Enhancement or Integration Act, currently being discussed in the Armed Services Committee.

As either of these bills move forward, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,
My United States Senator

No comments: