Sunday, May 17, 2009

RDC "C" School

Well, after 13 long weeks, I will graduate of RDC "C" School. And, let me emphasize long. It has been. I started RDC School in the beginning of March. And, at the beginning, it seemed like it would never end. It seemed like we were never going to be the senior class at PT. With Physical Training (PT) every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 0630 but, we had to be there at 0600 for muster. And, I think the hardest part about PT was the fact we had to do a sub-stained run of 30-45 minutes every two weeks or so in side. That is the hardest to do because the scenery never changes. Around and around we went for 30-45 minutes at a 12-15 minutes per mile pace. Tuesday's were Personal Inspections (PI) on a different uniform every Tuesday. The first two were very, very rough, but after that, it got really better and easier. Thursday's were free until we moved out of the instruction phase and into the shadow phase, and then, we had to rev the division we were shadowing. Sometimes, that rev would be 0400 in the morning. It was a little brutal sometimes. But, after 6 weeks of instruction phase, we moved into the shadow 2 phase, were we had to shadow our divisions and watch how the RDC's did things. It was a little easier, although we had to shadow 8 hours Monday through Friday and 8 hours over the weekend. And, we still had PT on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, with a PI's on a Tuesday or Thursdays.

The school tested me throughout. Several times I wanted to quit and I often wondered what I got myself into. I kept telling myself the means justify the ends. But, after I think about, I am looking forward to the transformation I will see when 88 civilians become sailors in 8 long weeks. I think that will be the best part of all. It will be long, hard, stressful, and painful at times. But, in the end, it will be worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan. I am really excited to see your blog-thank you! I am heading to RDC School this summer, and really appreciated your insight. I have a few questions. Can you please let me know if you get this okay first?

Thanks,

Tammy

Mercedes said...

Hi Ryan, I was an RDC from Dec 06 to Dec 09, you've already have the right attitude, it is about your recruits and how you can guide and train them. If you don't mind advice, don't let the politics at RTC get to you. Obviously you have to compete with other RDCs but don't let it cloud the real reason you are there. Good Luck, it will be memorable.